Original Painting by Alaska Artist Gail Niebrugge
This historic log building, the Colony Church/Theater, built in 1936-37 served as one of the three original colony churches in Palmer, Alaska. The building was moved to the Alaska State Fairgrounds in 1975 as part of a bicentennial project. It served as a theater for the Valley Performing Arts for 17 years, from the time of their formation in 1976. Later, the building was used as dressing rooms and a scene shop until 1996 when the organization relocated to a larger space on the Park Strip in downtown Wasilla. The Valley Performing Arts Association has grown and prospered, and was awarded the 2012 Governor’s Award for the Arts and Humanities; Arts Organization. This group of over 700 volunteers is taking a bold step for the future of community theater in the Matnuska-Susitina Valley, and are actively working to create a newer, larger 300 seat theater. Alaska artist Gail Niebrugge was asked to create a painting of the original Colony Church/Theater for the organization to use in it’s fund-raising events in the future. Niebrugge believes that it is an honor and a privilege to be able to help this worthy organization.